There is a point every Natick winter when you can’t seem to find the root of the draft in your home. It could possibly be emanating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed well. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes uneasy and cold, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help save money and cut down drafty air from entering your home, it’s critical to be able to identify where these window drafts could be located and why. Here are some helpful tips to identify your Natick home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Search for gaps and cracks in uncommon points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the typical windows with workable abilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Examine to ensure that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket near the workable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Inspect the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only perform as well as it is positioned.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Natick to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to address the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Natick a call at (781) 239-1161 with any extra questions or prospective replacement needs.